Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Let’s be honest, having a fridge filled with Thanksgiving leftovers can be really overwhelming. Make good use of the extra goods to cook up a crowd-favorite comfort food. Take your moist turkey, combine it with vegetables, left over gravy, and top it off with creamy mashed potatoes, then BOOM! Your Thanksgiving leftovers are reinvented into a flavorful shepherd’s pie.
- 2 Tb unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups leftover turkey meat
- 1/4 cup peas or green beans
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup gravy
- 2 cups mashed potatoes*
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery and carrots, cooking until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic, cooking for an additional minute. Add turkey, corn and peas (or green beans), along with seasonings and gravy, cooking until heated through. Transfer to a 1 quart baking dish, pressing into an even layer.
- Heat mashed potatoes until lukewarm and easy to stir. Add half of the shredded cheese to the potatoes, stir to combine. Spread mashed potatoes over the turkey filling. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If desired, broil or use a kitchen torch to char cheese slightly.
- Serve warm.
*Roughly 3/4 lb potatoes should be used for mashed potatoes, if no leftovers are available. Cook, mash and season as desired, then continue with recipe.