A roof leak is a major inconvenience that can cause a significant amount of damage to your home. Roof leaks can cause structural damage to your house, including damage to your attic, ceiling and walls. Roof leaks can even create health and safety problems for your family. Water intrusion can cause mold and mildew to spread throughout your home. Additionally, if water finds its way to electrical wiring, a leak could become a dangerous fire hazard.
For these reasons and more, it is extremely important to repair roof leaks as quickly as possible. This begins by determining what the cause of the leaky roof is. Here are ten common causes of roof leaks.
- Broken or missing shingles. High winds and heavy rains can damage or remove your shingles. You can visually check for missing shingles by seeing if there are any missing or different hued patches.
- Flashing damage. Flashing are thin strips of metal that seal roof transitions under shingles to create a water-resistant barrier. They can slip out of place or the caulking may dry and crack over time.
- Age of roof. Over time, roofing material can weaken. Harsh weather and exposure to sunlight can also lead to the deterioration of your roof, making it easier for water to sneak in. The sooner you repair roof leaks on an aging roof, the better.
- Clogged gutters. Gutters can become clogged with leaves, pine needles, branches and other debris. This slows down or stops the flow of rain water, allowing it to pool and making leaks more possible.
- Skylights. This type of leak is easy to spot and is usually caused by improper installation or measuring of the skylight.
- Chimney. Water can trickle in through the chimney and find even the smallest crack or hole to seep into. Water may also pool at the base of the chimney in certain cases.
- Roof vents. Plastic roof vents may crack over time, and the gaskets around pipe vents can crack or have gaps in them.
- Soffit or fascia damage. Soffits and fascia are at risk of water damage over time. Water can soften the fascia and cause holes. Small animals like birds and squirrels can find these holes and make the problem worse.
- Excess moisture. Improper installation of gutters can lead to draining and pooling issues, causing leaks.
- Holes. Holes in the roof can be caused by falling tree branches or items installed on the roof, such as a satellite dish.
If you suspect you have an issue, you should repair roof leaks right away to prevent further damage to your home. Reliant Roofing is a GAF Master Elite certified contractor serving the greater Jacksonville area. We can help you determine what’s causing your leak and find the best solution. Call Reliant Roofing for an inspection or complete repair today.